Weather Forecast


Ask a Trooper: Am I licensed to drive?

Minnesota State Patrol courtesy photo

Question: I moved to Minnesota two days ago. I am living with a cousin of mine in Minnesota. I am writing to you concerning driving legally within the state. Back in my native country, Kenya, I am licensed to drive and currently I have that license with me. I also obtained an international driving permit from the necessary licensing body back in Kenya. Are these documents sufficient to allow me to drive within the State of Minnesota before I am able to acquire the State's Driving License? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Answer: Hello and welcome to Minnesota! If you are visiting from another country with a valid driver's license from your home country, you are not required to get a Minnesota license, and can operate a vehicle legally in our State.

Once you become a Minnesota resident, you have 60 days to get a Minnesota driver's license.

Also, many insurance companies do not honor an "out-of-country licenses." Being that auto insurance is required to operate a motor vehicle, you would need to get a Minnesota driver's license or ask them about your options.