Woman cooking maple syrup starts Stearns County grass fire

A fire over the weekend in Albany Township burned a pasture and swamp. The fire was caused by a woman cooking maple syrup outdoors. The fire was extinguished and the woman issued a citation.

Albany Grass Fire 1.png
A grass fire Saturday in Albany Township started while a woman was cooking maple syrup. Photo courtesy of Stearns County Sheriff's Office
We are part of The Trust Project.

ALBANY , Minn. — A woman cooking maple syrup over an outdoor fire Saturday, April 3, near Albany resulted in a grass fire that spread to a neighboring field and swamp.

The incident was reported at 12:41 p.m. when a caller said the pasture was on fire and was moving quickly toward neighboring houses, according to a news release from the Stearns County Sheriff's Office .

Kasy Jensen, 41, of Albany, had a fire going in a fire pit while cooking maple syrup and winds caused the fire to move to a neighboring field and swamp. She was unable to extinguish the fire with a water hose that she had nearby, according to the report.

Two area fire departments were called to extinguish the blaze and Jensen was issued a citation for burning during a burning ban. No nearby homes were damaged, according to the release.

What to read next
Alan Wendell Olson, 76, of Clitherall suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to the Fergus Falls hospital for treatment. Airbags did not deploy and he was not wearing a seatbelt. No alcohol was involved in the accident, according to the State Patrol.
Perry Lillis, 58, of rural Perham was driving the ATV and was injured in the crash. He was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, and later remained under the care of the hospital, with injuries believed to be non-life-threatening.
After family realized the child was missing, a search ensued and the child's father found the boy face-down in the water near the shore, the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office said.
“The firefighter’s training and experience proved essential in the life-saving efforts,” according to the news release. “It’s estimated life-saving efforts were performed for roughly one minute before the child began to breathe again, prior to the arrival of first-responders.”