Staples-Motley School Board breaks ground on school improvement plan, phase 1
The groundbreaking follows the closure of the middle school in Motley.
STAPLES — The Staples-Motley School District held a ceremonial groundbreaking for their School Improvement Plan, Phase One project on Wednesday, May 18, according to a news release from the school district.
This summer, the elementary school portion of the project will include:
- Relocation and reconstruction of the parent drop off/pick up lanes and bus loop
- Renovation and expansion of existing serving-only kitchen and gymnasium to full-service kitchen and cafeteria
- Asbestos removal throughout building
- Renovation of existing classrooms to include new casework, paint and flooring
At the Middle/High School, some sitework will begin, including a reconstructed north parking lot.
Looking ahead the district facilities committee and ICS consultants working on the remaining portions of Phase One of the School Improvement Plan to include:
- Design of elementary gymnasium addition with the goal to bid the project in August. This gymnasium will be ready for use in Fall of 2023.
- Preparing the Middle/High School portion of the project for re-bid in Fall of 2022.
- Design of health and wellness addition in collaboration with Lakewood Health System for bid in Fall of 2022.