Fire kills calves and destroys building in rural rural Meeker County

A fire Monday afternoon likely started when a welder was in use. About 30 calves were killed in the fire. Fire Departments from four towns were called to the scene.

Clean up crews work Tuesday at the site of a barn fire that occurred Monday afternoon which killed around 30 calves in rural Grove City. Erica Dischino / West Central Tribune
We are part of The Trust Project.

GROVE CITY, Minn. — About 30 calves were killed Monday afternoon, Jan. 4, in a fire in rural Grove City, Minn., that also destroyed a building and its contents.

The fire was reported at 1:55 p.m. Monday in the 51000 block of 310 Street, in Swede Grove Township.

According to a news release from the Meeker County Sheriff’s Office, a fire in a shop, owned by Gregory Jans, likely started when a welder was in use. The building and its contents were a complete loss and 25 to 30 calves were lost in the fire.

The Grove City Fire Department was assisted by fire departments from Litchfield, Atwater and Paynesville.

No other injuries were reported.


RELATED: Fundraising begins for Minnesota family that lost farm, animals in fire

What to read next
Alan Wendell Olson, 76, of Clitherall suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to the Fergus Falls hospital for treatment. Airbags did not deploy and he was not wearing a seatbelt. No alcohol was involved in the accident, according to the State Patrol.
Perry Lillis, 58, of rural Perham was driving the ATV and was injured in the crash. He was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, and later remained under the care of the hospital, with injuries believed to be non-life-threatening.
After family realized the child was missing, a search ensued and the child's father found the boy face-down in the water near the shore, the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office said.
“The firefighter’s training and experience proved essential in the life-saving efforts,” according to the news release. “It’s estimated life-saving efforts were performed for roughly one minute before the child began to breathe again, prior to the arrival of first-responders.”