The money's not in the budget, but if the city of Wadena comes up with just 5 percent of the cost of expansion at the Wadena airport, the federal government will fund the other 95 percent.

The city council heard a report Tuesday, Dec. 9 about a wish list for expansion at the airport: extending the parallel taxiway and eventually building a crosswind runway, among other maintenance projects.

Should the city choose to move ahead with the project, the Federal Aviation Administration would foot 95 percent of the $360,000 cost, or $342,000. The city would be required to come up with $18,000 in local funds.

"The $18,000 we need is not in the budget," City Administrator Brad Swenson reminded the council. "When we were doing the budget, we didn't get that in the budget."

City councilwoman Kay Browne and Mayor Wayne Wolden expressed some support for the project.

"It's a great deal for the city -- 95 percent paid for," Browne said. "It makes sense."

"I think it's a great idea," Wolden added. "I hope we have the money to do it."

The council will review the plan again at its January meeting, and may have more guidance from the state at that point about funding through the Local Governement Aid program.