Trinity Lutheran celebrates 100 years
Trinity Lutheran Church in Deer Creek will be celebrating an occasion 100 years in the making on Sunday, June 28. The church, which was founded in 1915, will mark its centennial anniversary with a day full of activities for young and old.
During the celebration, Pastor Martin Langemo, Jr. who is a son of the congregation, will lead the service. Following the service, there will be a variety of activities including a catered meal, snow cones and bean bags.
Pastor Paul Yearyean said a centennial celebration for a church and continuing to share the word of God, especially in a smaller community, is an important milestone in the history of a congregation.
The public is invited to attend the centennial celebration, as well as past members. The church service will begin at 9 a.m. and the celebration will continue at the church following the service.
Founded in the home of William Rodekuhr, Sr. on Jan. 27, 1915, organizers of Trinity Lutheran Church elected church officers and began organizing the church. The first church officers included Henry Bettcher, chairman; Otto Nelson, secretary; and John Heiserman, treasurer. Under the direction of Pastor John Jank of Henning, its articles of incorporation were registered on March 3, 1915 and by March 1917 the church had 17 voting members and 70 people.
Charter members of the church include: Henry Bettcher, Otto Nelson, John Heiserman, John Menge, John Haase, William Rodekuhr, Emil Rambaum, Robert Pflatzgraff and Bernard Hartman.
During its early years, church services were held at the Methodist Church in Deer Creek, but were later moved to homes and also in the hall above the Menge-Guinn building. On Feb. 2, 1918 the congregation decided to construct a church of its own. The church was completed quickly and dedicated in the fall of 1920.
The original building went through a number of changes throughout the years including the addition of a kitchen and chancel in the mid 1940s and a large addition was completed in 1966 to add Sunday school rooms in the basement. Another expansive construction project began in 1981 when the church added a new side entry-way, bathrooms, ramps, increased seating and a larger basement that featured a new kitchen.
Trinity Lutheran Church in Deer Creek is located at 208 North Clark St. in Deer Creek.