Living History: Northside Floral sprouts
10 years ago
Feb. 5, 2009
• Northside Floral opened its doors occupying the same location of the previous floral shop Wadena Floral. A new name same people. Owner Jean Rasmussen, Amanda Wiese and Amanda Peterson.
• Wadena Inn and Grill closed its doors as of Jan. 12. The adjoining motel closed its doors on Jan 25.
• Lindsay Kephart joined the Pioneer Journal family as an advertising accountant representative.
20 years ago
Jan. 28, 1999
• Steve Elfstrum was the first pilot student to do a solo at Wadenas newly completed airport. He successfully completed a series of take-offs and landings on the paved surface 29 days after opening.
• The new Homecrest plant made concrete progress when the workers with KBW carefully set a 15-foot by 30-foot section of concrete wall into place at the new Homecrest plant.
30 years ago
Feb. 2, 1989
• The Wadena Fire Dept fought a blaze that overtook Merickel Lumber and adjacent Jensen Construction building. Estimated damages are between $80,000-$100,000.
• Currie's T.V. and Appliance advertised 2-for-1 Tuesday Videos. Video and Nintendo rentals for 47 cents!
• Jim Neuerburg a fourteen year member of the Verndale Lions Club was presented the prestigious Melvin Jones Fellowship award.