Haying opportunities open on area Waterfowl Production Areas

The haying opportunities are in Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail and Wilkin counties. Read on to find out how you can obtain a permit.

A farmer bales hay west of Wadena in August 2020. Michael Johnson/Pioneer Journal

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is issuing special use permits to hay several waterfowl production areas in four counties, according to a USFWS news release.

  • Douglas County: Urness and Brandon Townships (Ellingson Waterfowl Production Area and Stowe Lake Waterfowl Production Area)
  • Grant County: Pelican Lake, Lund, and Delaware Townships (Bah Lakes Waterfowl Production Area and Bailey Slough Waterfowl Production Area)
  • Otter Tail County: Erhard's Grove, Nidaros, Friberg, Norwegian Grove, Western, Tumuli, Inman, and Buse Townships (Backstrom, Bjerkevedt, Duenow, Gardner, Hensch, Nicholson, Rokes, and Townsend Waterfowl Production Areas)
  • Wilkin County: Prairie View Township (Bellmore Waterfowl Production Area)

Cooperators must bid for the units they are interested in. The highest bid for each unit will be granted a special use permit valid from Aug. 12-Sept. 15, 2021. Bids must be delivered to the Fergus Falls Wetland Management District office by Aug. 11, 2021.
To obtain a bid package or for more information, please call Hannah Kruenegel at 218-770-2515 or email

What To Read Next
Get Local