We see that you have javascript disabled. Please enable javascript and refresh the page to continue reading local news. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the customer support team at 1-833-248-7801.



Assistance available to Wadena and Hubbard County livestock producers impacted by drought disaster

Application must be submitted by the end of 2021 for losses from this year.

Corn plant leaves roll up in response to drought and heat as the plant tries to conserve moisture. Photo taken June 22, 2021, near Frazee, Minn. (Dan Gunderson / MPR News File)
We are part of The Trust Project.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) in Wadena and Hubbard County announced that ranchers and livestock producers can apply for assistance from the Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) for grazing losses incurred in 2021.

“Drought conditions in Wadena, Hubbard, Cass, Crow Wing, Aitkin and Itasca Counties have triggered availability of the Livestock Forage Disaster Program," said Kayla Mattson, County Executive Director. “LFP provides compensation to livestock producers who have suffered grazing losses due to drought. We encourage producers to contact our office for an appointment and to learn what records they need to have on hand in order to apply for assistance. Those producers that have not yet reported their pasture acres are encouraged to contact FSA as soon as possible to report those acres. A late-file fee may be required to certify this acreage.”

CED Mattson said the program covers full season improved pasture, native pasture, and forage sorghum. For losses due to drought, an eligible livestock producer must own or lease grazing land or pastureland physically located in a county meeting drought intensity criteria rated by the U.S. Drought Monitor. A map of eligible counties for LFP drought may be found on the FSA website, according to a USDA new release.

Eligible livestock include alpacas, beef cattle, buffalo/bison, beefalo, dairy cattle, deer, elk, emus, equine, goats, llamas, reindeer or sheep that have been or would have been grazing the eligible grazing land or pastureland during the normal grazing period.

Producers must provide a completed application and supporting documents to their FSA office within 30 calendar days after the end of the calendar year in which the grazing loss occurred. Applicants should collect records documenting their losses and evidence that the grazing land or pastureland is owned or leased. Additional supporting documents include federal grazing permits and contract grower agreements. Livestock producers must complete the LFP application and required supporting documentation no later than Jan. 31, 2021, for losses that occurred throughout 2021.


For more information, contact the Wadena/Hubbard County FSA office at 218-631-2876 or visit farmers.gov/recover.

What to read next
Wadena County shares property transfers from the past week.
Becker Transports of Wadena, Minnesota, started in with a 1985 Mack Superliner bought in 2010. A dozen years later, that ‘85 Mack is still putting in the miles as Becker Transport has grown into a regional trucking company, hauling loads like farm machinery, construction equipment, gravel and grain across the upper Midwest.
The North Dakota Mill and Elevator opened its doors in Grand Forks on Oct. 20, 1922, after several decades of attempts by farmers to halt the hold the grain trade had on pricing and grain grading.
With the increasing need for vets in rural America, Dr. Erin Christ decided to open her own vet clinic in Ellendale, North Dakota.