- Member for
- 1 year 3 months
A fire that destroyed a Verndale church is still under investigation, according to a report from the Wadena County Sheriff's Office. Verndale Fire Department was dispatched to Family Life Church in Verndale on Tuesday at 10:01 p.m., the report said.
Jim Rude cuts material needed to fix water damage in the garage of his aunt's southwest Wadena home Wednesday. Photo by Dain Sullivan If you have a photo that you think is a "Photo of the Day", send it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a short description for the chance to see it featured on our website and Facebook page!
Monday's cold didn't keep Evelyn Otto and her dog, Onslow, from taking a walk in downtown Wadena. Photo by Dain Sullivan If you have a photo that you think is a "Photo of the Day", send it to email@example.com along with a short description for the chance to see it featured on our website and Facebook page!
Incumbent Wayne Wolden defeated Mike Burcham for the title of mayor in Wadena. After the votes were registered, Wolden had received 1,278 votes (73 percent) to Burcham's 427 votes (24 percent). A total of 43 write-in ballots cast accounted for 3 percent of the vote. Wolden has been the mayor of Wadena since 1999, and works as the local M State business manager. He also served on the Wadena City Council from 1992-1996. Additionally, he ran for the office of state representative in 1996, but lost to incumbent Roxann Daggett. "Wadena means so much to me," Wolden said.
It's a sight that isn't easily forgotten. You're at a baseball game, high school sporting event or concert band performance, when an announcer asks if all the veterans in the crowd could kindly stand and be recognized. It's powerful to see the number of "red, white and blue"-clad men and women on their feet. Such social events should not be the only time veterans are recognized and thanked for their service to our country - they should be acknowledged everywhere they go. Recognition.
Aldrich Eric Reiman received 24 votes (96 percent), with 4 percent of write-in votes representing a single vote. Jani Nundahl was also elected to the Aldrich City Council, with 26 votes (100 percent). Verndale A total of 193 votes (82 percent) went to Tara Erckenbrack, respectively. There were 41 write-in votes (18 percent). Sebeka Michael Lillquist received the most votes with 231 votes (44 percent). He was followed by Lowell Steward, who had 181 votes (35 percent). Mark Albin received 108 votes (21 percent).
Verndale Marcus Edin received the most votes, with 594 votes (28 percent). He was followed by Shyla Hess, who had 532 votes (25 percent). Chris Youngbauer represented 25 percent of the vote with 521 votes, and there were 459 votes (22 percent) for Jim Runyan. Write-in votes accounted for 15 votes (less than 1 percent). Sebeka The leading number of votes went to Charles Funk with 1,075 votes (35 percent). Rodney Huttunen received 1,035 votes (34 percent).
Aldrich Jennifer Reiman received 21 votes (91 percent), with two votes (9 percent) representing write-in votes. Verndale A total of 187 votes were for Raye Ludovissie (89 percent). The remaining 11 percent (24 votes) represented write-in votes. Sebeka The most votes wen to David Anderson, who received 211 votes (just under 74 percent). James Murphy received 76 votes (just under 27 percent). There were no write-in votes. Menahga With 98 percent of the vote (567 votes), Patrick Foss won the election.
For Minnesota Senate District 8, Bill Ingebrigtsen (GOP) won with 22,712 votes (53 percent) over Dan Skogen (DFL), who received 20,213 votes (47 percent). Paul Gazelka (GOP) won Minnesota Senate District 9 with 20,527 votes (54 percent). Al Doty (DFL) received 17,687 votes (46 percent). Gazelka shared his thoughts on Tuesday's overall election. "I did not think that President Obama would win," Gazelka said.
With 2,362 votes (35 percent), Peter Hayes was elected to the Wadena-Deer Creek School Board. Hayes was followed by Steve Techam with 2,203 votes (33 percent) and Kent Schmidt with 2,096 (31 percent). Write-in votes accounted for 107 votes (less than 2 percent).