Weather Forecast


New regulation offers guidance for awards replacement

The newly revised edition of the Army regulation for military awards, AR 600-8-22, lays out the procedures that service members, veterans and surviving family members need to follow for requesting replacement medals of previously awarded decorations. Replacement medals will be issued on a one-time, no-cost basis to the recipient of the award, or the primary next of kin to a deceased recipient. Subsequent replacement medals or service ribbons for individuals not on active duty may be made at cost price, according to the June 25 update of the regulation.

Government replacement of service medals and ribbons that predate World War I is not possible, as these items no longer are carried in the military supply system. However, many of these decorations may be purchased from private dealers in military insignia. Medals and appurtenances issued by the Army include decorations, service medals and ribbons, palms, rosettes, clasps, arrowheads, service stars (campaign/battle), the French Fourragere, Netherlands Orange Lanyard, and Army Good Conduct Medal. In addition to these are oak leaf clusters, numerals, "V" devices, certificates for decorations, lapel buttons for decorations, ten-year devices, Berlin Airlift Devices, containers for decorations, miniature decorations to foreign military personnel, letter "M" devices and the Medal of Honor flag.

Badges and appurtenances issued by the Army include combat and special skill badges; Basic Marksmanship Badges; Distinguished Marksmanship Badges; excellence in competition badges; Basic Marksmanship Qualification Badges and bars; Army Staff Identification Badge; The Guard, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Identification Badge; Army Recruiter Badge; Career Counselor Badge; and the new Basic, Senior and Master Instructor Badges. Items not issued or sold by the Army include miniature medals, service ribbons, devices and appurtenances; lapel buttons for service medals, and lapel buttons for service prior to Sept. 8, 1939; Active Reserve lapel buttons; lapel buttons for badges; certificates for badges; foreign badges, and miniature Combat Infantryman, Expert Infantryman, Combat Medical, Expert Field Medical and Aviation badges, and dress miniature badges.

When requesting replacement medals for awards issued by the U. S. military services, individuals should access the website of the National Personnel Records Center ( Medals and appurtenances awarded while in federal service with the Army or a sister U.S. service will be issued on request to the appropriate military service as follows:

• Requests for personnel in active federal military service, or the Army National Guard or Army Reserve should be submitted to the individual's unit commander.

• Requests for personnel who do not hold current Army status, or who died before Oct. 1, 2002, should be submitted to the National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, Mo. 63138-1002.

• Requests for individuals who retired, were discharged (or have a Reserve obligation), or who died (except for general officers) after Oct. 1, 2002, should be submitted to the Commander, Army Human Resources Command (AHRC-PDP-A), 1600 Spearhead Division Ave., Fort Knox, Ky. 40122-5408.

• Requests for general officers should be submitted to the Commander, Army Human Resources Command (AHRC-PDP-A), 1600 Spearhead Division Ave., Fort Knox, Ky. 40122-5408.

Addresses for requesting medals from the non-Army U.S. military services are:

• Navy awards: Chief of Naval Operations (DNS-35), Navy Pentagon, Washington, D.C. 20350-2000.

• Air Force awards: Air Force Personnel Center, Attn: AFPC/DSPSIDR, 550 C St., Randolph Air Force Base, Texas 78150-4712.

• Marine Corps awards: Commandant, Marine Corps, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Code MMMA, 3280 Russell Road, Quantico, Va. 22134-5103.

• Coast Guard awards: Commandant (G-PS-5/TP41, U.S. Coast Guard, Washington, D.C. 20593-7238.

As always please see your local County Veterans Service Officer if you have any questions. You can contact your local VSO at (218) 631-7617 or by email at and as always have a great week.