Weather Forecast


Living History: Record crowd turns out for Wadena Garden Club show

10 years ago

Excerpts from the Aug. 12 Pioneer Journal

• Buffalo dies at city park

The bull buffalo at Sunnybrook Park has died, leaving a cow and a calf.

Ron Bucholz, public works director, said a parks worker who went to feed the animals found the bull dead on July 21.

Bucholz doesn't know what caused the buffalo's death. He thinks the bull was 10-12 years old. The city bought him in 1998, and he was estimated to be 5 years old or so then, Bucholz said. At the time, he said, a calf was traded in on the bull, and he still cost several hundred dollars.

Bucholz told the Wadena City Council at Tuesday night's meeting that the buffalo are quite an attraction.

He asked the council on Tuesday that in an era of cutbacks if the buffalo would be eliminated to save money.

Mayor Wayne Wolden said that the buffalo are an attraction for Wadena. He told Bucholz to look for another bull.

• Part-timer named full-time officer

Milo Scott is the new full-time police officer for the Wadena Police Department, but he's not so new to the town.

Scott worked in quality control at a plastic plant in Alexandria and as a part-time deputy for the Wadena County Sheriff's Department and part-time officer for the Wadena Police Department. He has worked at the sheriff's department since February and the police department since May.

So far, he has been plenty busy at the police department. The department has been operating with less manpower since Eric Sonnenburg resigned May 12 to take a job at the Wadena County Sheriff's Department.

30 years ago

Excerpts from the Aug. 14,1984 Pioneer Journal

• Record crowd turns out for Wadena Garden Club show

Wadena Garden Club's early August flower show Thursday drew over 225 exhibits, the largest on record according to Lillian Lorentz, club president, and Margaret Sherman, chairman of the event held at Immanuel Lutheran Church's fellowship hall.

The spaciousness of the fellowship hall provided garden club members with ample room to exhibit a colorful array of gladiola, dahlia, roses, house plants, annuals, shrubs, perennials and crafty flower arrangements.

Marcy Gaugert, Bertha, gave pertinent demonstrations throughout the show as how to judge flowers and also how to effectively arrange them.

Exhibits were placed on tables throughout the hall, allowing exhibitors and the public who viewed the show time to discuss what they saw. Both dahlias and gladiolas were exhibited in largest numbers.

50 years ago

Excerpts from the Aug. 13,1964 Pioneer Journal

• Law now requires two sets election judges henceforth

Two sets of election judges are now required by law, one group to serve as heretofore from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and five to serve from 8 p.m. until all ballots are counted and returns completed.

Reduced to its simplest terms there will be ten appointed from each of the three precincts and the precincts are: No. 1 - east of Jefferson St.; No. 2 - west of Jefferson St and north of Franklin Ave.; No. 3 - west of Franklin Ave. SW.

Additional help to tabulate the vote resulted from errors in tabulation by clerks who had already served about 12 hours during the voting period and as much as another 12 hours in counting the ballots after the polls closed. A fresh crew for the tabulation could speed up the count materially and reduce the problem of errors to the minimum.

70 years ago

Excerpts from the Aug. 17, 1944 Pioneer Journal

• Mailing of eight-ounce package denied

In accordance with an order issued by the United States Post-office Department, no more than eight-ounce packages may be mailed to a PO address without request from the proposed recipient.

A new ruling permits only the mailing of valuable or important papers and small articles of intrinsic value such as eyeglasses, watches and fountain pens.

A good rule to follow before mailing anything overseas is to call your post office, it is advised.

• Allies pull mammoth surprise on Germans early Tuesday

With the largest Armada ever to assist an invasion, the Allies opened up a "fourth front" against Germany early Tuesday. Some 800 ships, thousands of planes overhead and clouds of paratroopers assured that there would be no German opposition strong enough to long hold back the determined assault. Within two hours, seven waves of troops had dashed ashore.

Seventy minutes before the actual landing, battleships, destroyers, cruisers and deadly little rocket ships opened an earth-shaking bombardment of the invasion beaches to drive their defenders inland. While almost simultaneously hundreds of Allied bombers explosives crashing into enemy defenses below.