Weather Forecast


Living History: Fire at Outpost Grill

15 years ago

Excerpts from the July 1, 1999 Pioneer Journal

• Fire at Outpost Grill

Wadena firefighters were called out early Tuesday morning to a fire at the Outpost Grill on Aldrich Avenue. The Outpost owners, Roy and Cassie Booker, were not home at the time of the fire and could not be reached for comment.

Firemen contained the fire within the walls with minimal damage to the structure. All of Wadena's 20 firemen answered the 5 a.m. alarm and stayed with the fire about two hours. They did have to open the floor some and fight the fire.

The fire appeared to be electrical in origin, and it started in the utility room of the restaurant area on the first floor.

"We had to break a door to get in," firefighter Rick Taggart said.

They had to break the window of the door to gain entry. No one sustained any injuries.

• Todd County deputies spend 16 hours in stand-off with armed man

When the Todd county Sheriff's Department got a call June 23, they headed to a rural Bertram residence for what appeared to be a domestic situation. Sheriff Dave Kirschner said that when they got there the man was in a shed on the property with a gun to his head. Deputies negotiated with the man from 14 to 16 hours before they could get him to give himself up. He did finally, and was arrested without incident. He is being held at the Todd County jail and will be charged with making terroristic threats and felony assault on his wife.

30 years ago

Excerpts from the July 3, 1984 Pioneer Journal

• Chemical spill excavated Saturday

2,500 gallons of 28 percent nitrogen was spilled thursday at the Steve Roth farm, Route 1, Wadena, four miles southeast of the city.

According to Wadena County health officer and solid waste manager Gregory Kempf, the nipple between the nitrogen tank and the shutoff valve apparently ruptured, causing the spill. The tank belonged to Jacobson Transport, Inc., of Wheaton, Minn.

Because the nitrogen is dangerous in concentrated amounts, Kempf said that authorities had excavated the land spill Saturday and spread it on acreage that had been set aside to alleviate any immediate danger.

• St. Cloud State grad named new coach

Mark Selisker, who attended Crosby-Ironton High School and graduated from St. Cloud State this past spring, has been named the new head basketball coach at Wadena High School. Selisker will also be an assistant football coach for the varsity and will teach fourth grade at Wadena Public School.

Selisker, who captained the St. Cloud State defensive teams in football, will replace Lowell Roisum, who resigned as basketball coach to become principal of Wadena High School. He is expected in town for introduction July 10.

50 years ago

Excerpts from the July 2, 1964 Pioneer Journal

• New TV channels proposed for Wadena

Central Minnesota Television Co., owner and operator of station KCMT, channel seven, in Alexandria and KNMT, channel 12 in Walker, has been granted a permit by village council of the village of Wadena to install a cable system in the city to distribute Twin City television, FM radio and background music. Ordinance 104 was passed at the village council meeting.

The company proposes an all-channel system which will initially provide at least four Twin City television channels, including the education channel plus four, nine and 11; two FM radio stations, one channel of continuous background music; a weather scanner, which will operate continuously showing on the television screen current local weather conditions and which channel can also be used to telecast local events and emergency messages by use of slides and flip cards.

All facilities will be brought to Alexandria by microwave.

70 years ago

Excerpts from the July 6, 1944 Pioneer Journal

• Two girls disappear from their homes

Two young Wadena girls, Donna Jean Kane, 13, and Betty Ann Hein, 15, disappeared from their homes at about 11 a.m. Sunday. They have not been heard from since, nor is it known where they went or why.

According to Mrs. Kane, mother of Donna Jean, the two girls were at the Kane home and said they were going over to the Hein home. That's the last heard from them. There had been no trouble insofar as Mrs. Kane knew. Police officials have been notified and descriptions of the two girls have been given.