Weather Forecast


Whoa! Chief of Police qualifies for B-Bar-B club

5 Years Ago

Excerpts from the June 12, 2008 Pioneer Journal

• Bradley gets 18 years for murder

Thorpe Bradley, who was found guilty of unintentional murder on April 2 in Wadena, was sentenced Tuesday to 18 years in prison. He is expected to serve 12 years and then have supervised probation for 6 years.

Bradley, of rural Menahga, was on trial for allegedly causing the death of his girlfriend’s father, Thomas Hensel, also of rural Menahga, after the two exchanged punches at the Mary Brown Bridge during a day of drinking. The incident happened Sept. 16, 2006, and Hensel died on Sept. 18 2006 in a Fargo hospital. 


10 Years Ago

Excerpts from the June 19, 2003 Pioneer Journal

• Officer to serve in Bosnia

Officer Eric Sonnenburg will be trading one uniform for another for nine months, when he becomes a soldier stationed in Bosnia.

Sonnenburg will be on active duty with the National Guard in Bosnia. He leaves July 14 for three months of training before heading to Bosnia for six months.

“I’m dreading it,” he said. “It’s still a combat zone there. Two soldiers were killed there last week.”

The National Guard troops deployed with Sonnenburg have three missions depending on what they do for their civilian jobs. Some will work as military police, personal security for the general or perform tactical human intelligence. The last mission entails the soldiers going into communities to get information about where weapons, among other things, are hidden. Then the soldiers will go in as a SWAT team and raid those places.


25 Years Ago

Excerpts from the June 9, 1988 Pioneer Journal

• Jerry’s Village Inn in Ottertail destroyed by two fires

After firefighters had contained a Monday morning fire at Jerry’s Village Inn, Ottertail, they were called to the scene a second time Tuesday morning, this time finding the building completely engulfed in flames. It was unsalvageable.

The first fire, supposedly started from a cigarette in the bar area that was smoldering in the booth, was contained by firefighters. There they were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the basement area and an attached warehouse. On Tuesday morning, exactly 24 hours later, firefighters were again called to the restaurant, bar and lounge, where the fire had rekindled.

Jerry’s is operated by Jerry and Elaine Carlson and their three children, John, Jeannie and Janine. It included on and off-sale liquor, short-order menu and supper club food sales.

Jerry’s was just completing a remodeling project. In fact, carpet installers were in the building until approximately 2:30 a.m. Monday, just two hours before the fire was reported.

The owners hope to rebuild immediately.

• Doe gives birth to triplet fawns at Sunnybrook

A Minnesota whitetail doe gave birth to triplet fawns at Sunnybrook Park recently according to Blaine Dunblazier, city parks superintendent.

Dunblazier indicated that local veterinarian Dr. Warren Hartman was contacted to determine the condition of the triplets. While it is sometimes difficult for a doe provide enough milk for triplets, the trio is coming along quite satisfactorily. Some of the fawns are being bottle fed so they will survive.

60 Years Ago

Excerpts from the June 18, 1953 Pioneer Journal

• Whoa! Chief of Police qualifies for B-Bar-B club

Think again – days of the wild and wooly west aren’t gone!

Last Monday morning about 3 a.m., as Chief of Police Jim Warwick sat in the prowl car near the city park checking passengers leaving the early morning train, his ears pricked up as he heard the beat of horse hooves coming up from behind him. Turning to see if a cowboy was coming into town, Jim’s eyes opened wide as he saw a little Shetland pony trotting down the street without a rider.

Big Jim hopped out of the car, and attempted to catch the runaway pony. The pony, having other ideas, gave Jim the sidestep and galloped down Jefferson. Getting into the prowl, car, Jim went in pursuit and after a two-block run, passed the pony.

Again getting out of the car, Jim went into the street, and apparently the pony though he might as well give up to the law, because they would get him sooner or later anyway. Jim put his arm around the pony’s neck, and then began to wonder, “Should I put him in jail or the fire hall?”  Neither place really seemed proper, so Jim led the little pony home, and tied him to the clothes line.

In the morning when Jim’s four-year-old daughter looked out the window and saw the prize, she thought Christmas had started all over again. The dreams of the little girl were shattered later in the morning when Ken Jackson, living west of the fairgrounds came to claim the pony.

Jackson had bought the pony from Delbert Crooker, Bertha, a short time before, and the direction the pony was going caused B-Bar-B Warwick to conclude, “I’ll bet the little cuss was heading for home!”