Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

No injuries in house fire Wednesday night

A garage fire at 804 6th Street SW in Wadena resulted in a total loss of a motorcycle and car Wednesday night. Approximately 30 firefighters from the Wadena and Verndale Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the blaze, which took about one and a half hours to put out. Photo by Randy Taggart.1 / 3
A gutted vehicle sits in front of the burned garage at a house fire Wednesday night. Becky Wedde/Wadena Pioneer Journal.2 / 3
An American flag stands out against the destroyed garage in Wednesday night's fire. Becky Wedde/Wadena Pioneer Journal.3 / 3

Approximately 30 firefighters from the Verndale Volunteer Fire Department and the Wadena Volunteer Fire Department were called out to a house fire Wednesday night.

The fire started at approximately 7:56 p.m. in the garage of the home, located at 804 6th Street SW in Wadena. The owner of the home, identified as Dave Lindquist, explained that he was working in the garage on a motorcycle. Lindquist was draining the gas from the motorcycle and some spilled on the garage floor. Once he realized how much gas was in the hose, he reattached the line, but a propane heater in the garage ignited the spilled gas.

“I just bought the house. I’ve only been in the home 10 days,” Lindquist said.

It took firefighters about an hour and a half to put out the blaze. Fire Chief Dean Uselman said that there was heavy damage to the garage, breezeway, kitchen and a bathroom. There was heavy smoke damage throughout the house.

Assistant Fire Chief Dale Haman said that the Red Cross had been contacted. Lindquist and his wife, Kristina, are staying at a hotel Wednesday while they figure out their next steps.

“My wife is in shock,” Lindquist said. “It hasn’t hit me yet,” he added.

Haman told reporters that the Verndale Volunteer Fire Department responded through auto-aid. The Wadena Police Department, Minnesota State Troopers and Tri-County Ambulance also responded to the blaze.

Lindquist suffered a minor burn on his hand, requiring no treatment. The motorcycle, a car and the garage were also destroyed.

Uselman said the fire was ruled accidental. No suspicious activity was reported.

randomness