School in Full Swing
By Tyler Church, Principal, Wadena-Deer Creek Middle/Highschool
What a great start to the school year at Wadena-Deer Creek Schools. It is hard to believe we have already finished our third week of school, but I guess time flies when you are having fun and getting back into the swing of things. Seeing the energy the students bring to the building and the excitement of the teachers and staff has certainly been fun to watch. Summer break was well deserved, but by the looks of things most of us were ready to get back into the school routine.
With the start of the school year we have some exciting things happening in the 5 through 12 grade building. Here are some of the highlights for the upcoming year:
• This is our second year of supplying each of our students with their own iPad. Students and staff became familiar with the devices last year, and this year we look to build on that by incorporating these educational tools into the everyday curriculum.
• This year also sees the addition of a new construction class to our schedule. Mr. Mike Shrode will be working with a dozen students for a double period each day. The main project for this class will be building a 4-stall garage for the school. We have a group of young men and women who excel at these types of hands-on learning opportunities, and we are excited they will be able to demonstrate their skills through this class.
• Wadena-Deer Creek Schools will also be continuing with our College in the School Program. This program offers 30 college credits to our students without ever leaving our building. We are also offering additional college credits through ITV courses from Central Lakes College this year. This new opportunity will allow us to provide college courses we have not offered in the past, such as nursing courses.
• WDC is hosting 13 foreign exchange students this year. This is a fantastic program which exposes our students to peers from other cultures. In our building alone this year we will have students from China, Indonesia, Hungary, South Korea, Germany, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, and Japan. This would not be possible without the generosity of host families who take in these students for the school year. I want to thank these host families because their willingness to do this provides an excellent learning opportunity for the foreign exchange students and for our students as well. We are always looking for additional host families for future years, so if you are interested please contact our school counselor, Toni Kraska, at (218)632-2171.
• Homecoming is also fast approaching. Our weeklong festivities will begin on Sept. 23 with a kick-off assembly and will culminate with Coronation and our Homecoming Parade on Friday, Sept. 27. Coronation will be held at 10:30 a.m. and the parade will start at 2 p.m. We are still looking for float entrants, so please contact Mr. Gallant at 632-2310 if you would like to enter a float.
It has been a great start to the year at Wadena-Deer Creek Schools. The kids have been working hard in and out of the classroom. Please come out and support the students and school as much as you can!