Weather Forecast


Ask a Trooper: Readers ask about farm plates, open bottle restrictions

Question: I have a one-ton pickup that I use on my farm. It has farm plates on it. During the recent cold snap, I told my neighbor that I was thinking of hooking up my fifth-wheel camper and heading out to Arizona. He told me I would get a ticket for pulling my camper with a pickup that had farm plates on it. Is he correct?

Answer: Yes, your neighbor is correct. That would be a violation, and you would receive a ticket for that.

Being that it is an illegal use of farm plates/registration, you could also be subject to having the vehicle towed and put in impound until you put the proper registration on it.

Question: Can a person have an open bottle of alcohol in a vehicle on a frozen lake or river?

Answer: According to Minnesota State Statute 169A.35 Subd. 2, Drinking and consumption, "It is a crime for a person to drink or consume an alcoholic beverage, distilled spirit or 3.2 percent malt liquor in a motor vehicle when the vehicle is upon a street or highway."

So, as I read it, yes you can. As we always say, if you plan on drinking, be responsible and have a plan in place to use a sober ride.

If you have any questions concerning traffic-related laws or issues in Minnesota, send them to Trp. Jesse Grabow - Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes or e-mail him at