Weather Forecast


Stolen Camaro clocked at 135 mph

FARGO - Law enforcement officials say they are looking for the driver of a stolen vehicle who was involved in a high-speed chase Thursday afternoon that crossed state lines and reached speeds of 135 mph.

Sgt. Troy Hischer of the North Dakota State Patrol said he chased a stolen black 2010 Chevrolet Camaro driven by an unidentified male through Harwood and parts of Fargo after 3 p.m. Thursday.

"I turned on it, and he was immediately 100-plus miles an hour before I even turned on my lights to try and stop him," Hischer said.

The Camaro was reportedly stolen from Gateway Chevrolet in Fargo on Monday night, he said.

The chase started in Harwood with the suspect coming over from Minnesota after being pursued by Minnesota State Patrol, Hischer said.

It continued south along County Road 17 and then eastbound through construction zones on 12th Avenue North west of Interstate 29, with the suspect running over construction barrels and barricades.

After discontinuing the chase due to safety concerns, Hischer said the driver continued eastbound along 12th Avenue North before striking another motorist near the North Dakota State University campus at the intersection with 18th Street North. He then fled the scene on foot.

NDSU police recovered the vehicle, said Lt. Joel Vettel of the Fargo Police Department. Vettel said the Fargo Police assisted in searching for the suspect before filing the accident report. He said no injuries were reported in that accident.

The Camaro, which suffered severe cosmetic damage in the chase, is in the custody of the state patrol and is a part of a criminal investigation, Hischer said.

The chase started in Otter Tail County near Fergus Falls, Hischer said, before eventually moving across state lines near Harwood.

"Without anybody chasing him, he was going 108 (mph)," Hischer said.

The patrol is not releasing information about the suspect at this time. Anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the suspect should call Fargo Police or the highway patrol.