Weather Forecast


Steps to take before building in County

Wadena County has been county-wide zoned since 1971, and most people know that building permits are required anytime one is planning a construction project, whether it is new construction, moved on construction, an alteration of an existing structure, or the installation or replacement of a septic system.

There is a little more to the process then just coming into the Zoning office and getting a piece of paper that says a project is approved. There are several things to be sure of prior to construction. Before you build, you should:

• Obtain the appropriate administrative building permit(s) or special use permit (Variance, Conditional Use, Rezoning, Preliminary Plat)

• Find out if the application for permit is going to require a compliance inspection on your septic system

• If you are disturbing one acre (43,460 sq. ft.) or more with your building project you are required to obtain a construction storm water permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency

• Make sure you're project is not in a wetland (check with the Soil & Water Conservation District Office 218-631-3195)

• Make sure your structure will meet all required setbacks measured closest point to closest point, AND, make sure you know where your property lines are located:

• 30 feet to a property line from any side of the structure except the back/rear side

• 50 feet to a property line from the back/rear of the structure

• 65 feet from the centerline of a township road

• 100 feet from the centerline of a county road

• 130 feet from the centerline of a state or US 2 lane highway

• 200 feet from the centerline of a state/interstate 4 lane highway (measured from the center of the nearest 2 lanes)

• In shoreland which is 1000 feet from a lake or 300 feet from a river or stream, setbacks from property lines listed above apply; however, setbacks from roads are as follows:

• 0 feet from the right-of-way of a federal, state, or county highway, and

• 20 feet from the right-of-way of a township road, public street, or other streets not classified

• 75 feet from the Ordinary High Water Level (OHWL) of a General Development Lake

• 100 feet from the OHWL of a Recreational Development Lake

• 150 feet from the OHWL of a Natural Environment Lake

• 200 feet from the OHWL of a Remote River

• 150 feet from the OHWL of a Forested or Transitional River

• 100 feet from the OHWL of an Agriculture, Urban, or Tributary

• 50 feet from the crest of a bluff

• Follow the provisions listed on the permit and make sure you can follow through on any special provisions or agreements before you make them and sign your name to them

• Contact your local electric company to find out clearance and setback requirements from power lines and equipment

• Call Gopher One for a locate on buried cables/wires

• Ask questions if you have questions

If you follow these simple steps, compliance with the County ordinances and other regulations will be one less headache for you as you move forward with your project.