Weather Forecast


Living History

5 years ago

Excerpts from the Nov. 16, 2006 Pioneer Journal

• Wadena woman takes Oprah's charity challenge

"The Oprah Winfrey Show" gave Wadena resident Michelle Rousslang $1,000 to donate to her community and a DVD camcorder to record her gift when she attended the taping of a show urging Oprah audience members to experiencee the joys of giving.

As part of the "Pay it Forward" challenge, Rousslang donated a table full of toys to the Wadena Pioneer Journal Empty Stocking Fund and arm loads of coats, snow pants, mittens, hats and boots to the Wadena-Deer Creek Elementary School and Wadena County Social Services on Nov. 6.

"I sent in an email stating that I'd like to give back to the community like my husband does as a fireman," she said re-ferring to her husband Matthew Rousslang's service with the Wadena Fire Department.

Harpo Productions, Inc., accepted her request for tickets, and on Oct. 19 invited Rousslang to Chicago for an Oct. 26 taping of "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

• Festive, but fattening: Here come the holidays

The average American will gain 7 to 10 pounds this holiday season, according to Monica Foster, dietician. A typical Thanksgiving meal contains 7,100 calories alone.

10 years ago

Excerpts from the Nov. 22, 2001 Pioneer Journal

• Book fans wait in line for much-anticipated Harry Potter movie

All the Voldemorts in the world couldn't stop 8-year-old Brendan Lauer from opening night of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

Lauer is a big fan of Potter, a good wizard in training. He owns more Potter memorabilia including a bank, broom and all four books, which he read in a month's time.

Next in line were Beth Weinzierl (also waiting since 4 p.m.) and friends Erin Yelle and Mary Pate, all 12.

"We thought the line would be long," Weinzierl said.

"Look," said Yelle as the line stretched halfway down the block. "We were right."

• St. Ann's sisters' house destroyed in early morning fire

When Sister Evangeline Reuter heard crackling noises at 5:30 a.m. Nov. 19, she thought it was hailing outside.

Then she smelled the smoke.

Reuter awakened her roommate, Sister Jocile Robinson, and they headed outside to see what was going on.

The home was a complete loss after an electrical fire started in the attic.

As fellow parishioners carried out whatever was salvageable, Robinson said, "They're just things," referring to her scorched belongings.

One of the volunteer workers, Dude Richter, held up a large, old Bible and said, "This made it."

25 years ago

Excerpts from the Nov. 18, 1986 Pioneer Journal

• "Butch" retires after 45 years of service at Tri-County Hospital

Bernardine Marquardt, "Butch," was the guest of honor at a luncheon on Thursday, Nov. 13, hosted by Jim Lawson, hospital administrator, and attended by Margaret Prindle, Butch's sister, and Lois Miller, RN, evening supervisors, and Maureen Ideker, director of nurses. Butch began employment at Tri-County Hospital on Oct. 15, 1941, and has worked continuously until retirement this year.

• Fire destroys sales barn

Fire of undetermined origin destroyed the well-known sales barn located in northwest Wadena owned by Janice and Jerry Bartel at 3:08 a.m. Friday morning, according to Fire Chief John Edinger. When firemen arrived at the scene, the roof on the auction ring part of the structure had already caved in. The only thing the fire department could do was to protect the buildings surrounding the area, Edinger said. The total amount of damage was not known.

40 years ago

Excerpts from the Nov. 18, 1971 Pioneer Journal

• Wadena to host '72 State Amateur Baseball tourney

The 1972 State Amateur Baseball tournaments will be held in Wadena, Aug. 31 to Sept. 10, Dick Grewe, president of the Wadena Baseball Association announced today.

Wadena was selected from a field of nine towns bidding for the next two tournaments. Jordan was awarded the 50th anniversary year meet for 1973.

• Jim Krause week planned

Plans are underway by designated students and participating adults in a worthy project concerning Jim Krause who has been hospitalized at St. Luke's in Fargo, N.D., following an accident at Otter Tail Lake last summer.

Mrs. Halme and Mrs. Hedstrom met Tuesday with members of the senior high student council in organizing a "Jim Krause Week." Two student council members have been chosen from each class to meet with a committee of adults to plan events.

Tom Merickel and Barb Larson are the sophomore representatives, Ken Kraemer and George Edeburn represent the seniors, Robin Kvamme and Sue Andrie, the juniors.

60 years ago

Excerpts from the Nov. 22, 1951 Pioneer Journal

• Dog credited in saving lives of twin sons

A farm dog left to guard two youngsters Tuesday afternoon, today carries the title of "hero" as far as Mr. and Mrs. George Wark, living near Almora are concerned. The dog, according to Wark is credited with saving the lives of Dennis and Dale (twins) 5-years old, their sons.

Mr. Wark and two of his sons were in the vicinity of Walker hunting, and in the afternoon a neighbor picked up Mrs. Wark and took her into Parkers Prairie to do the family shopping. During this absence, the farm home caught fire from an undetermined origin, and was in flames when Mrs. Wark and the neighbor returned.

Hysterical, Mrs. Wark attempted to rush into the burning structure to save the boys, but neighbors kept her from the act. They pointed to the car where she noticed one of the little boys peeking out of a car window. The dog, an English Setter, stood guard outside the car door. Neighbors related when they arrived at the scene the two little boys were in the car, but the dog wouldn't let anyone get close to them.

Mr. and Mrs. Wark believe the dog was instrumental in getting the children out of the burning house and herded them into the car, and then refused to let anyone come near them.

• Pioneer Journal sponsors 25th Empty Stocking drive

With the approach of Christmas, plans are again under way to gladden the hearts of less fortunate children through the medium of the Pioneer Journal's Empty Stocking Fund.