Weather Forecast


Fire doused in 800 block of 5th Street SW

Photo by Rachelle Klemme Sheriff Mike Carr brings out Diana Bagley's cat Malcolm from a nearby apartment.1 / 2
Photo by Rachelle Klemme Andy Otto and other firefighters responded to a smoking apartment unit in southwest Wadena.2 / 2

Wadena firefighters contained a fire at about 11 a.m. Friday, April 29 at an apartment at 823 5th St. SW in Wadena.

Fire Chief Dean Uselman said the cause was determined to be accidental and most likely originated with the stove being left on. The kitchen was damaged to the point where it would have to be gutted and reconstructed, and there was heavy smoke damage throughout the apartment, he said.

There were no injuries. The damaged apartment was vacant; new renters had just started moving in but were not there at the time of the fire. Residents of other apartments in the complex got out of the building unharmed.

Police Chief Bruce Uselman said the fire was detected when some officers were at the nearby cemetery, honoring those who had died in the line of duty, and smelled smoke.

Assistant Fire Chief Dale Haman was the acting fire chief at the scene.