News briefs - Oct. 26 edition
Operation Christmas Child donations sought through Nov. 20
The Operation Christmas Child (OCC) Shoebox Season has begun for 2017. Samaritan's Purse founder Franklin Graham invites us to fill or help send a shoebox full of gifts to a child in need. For most kids in foreign third world countries, this will be a first and perhaps the only gift they receive as a child. Many Shoebox recipients also enroll in the 12 lesson follow-up discipleship program, The Greatest Journey, where they learn to follow Christ and share Him with others.
Here's some choices:
• Pick up an OCC shoebox and flyer from Wadena Alliance Church foyer (or many other participating churches) - directions are all there.
• Donate to help cover transportation costs. Each Shoebox costs about $9 to ship. Make checks payable to Samaritan's Purse.
• Help fill our Filler Box. Extra gifts are always needed as volunteers at the Twin Cities Distribution Center ready the Shoeboxes for shipment: fun toys, hygiene items, school supplies, hair accessories, etc.
Do not include: candy, toothpaste, used items, war-related items, food, liquids or lotions, nor anything breakable.
For additional gift suggestions and more, visit samaritanspurse.org/occ
Wadena Alliance Church at 1428 Jefferson Street South is a Collection Center from November 13-20. Check the hours on their website or call (218) 631-3563.
Piano recital for Humane Society set for Oct. 29
A piano recital fundraiser benefitting the Wadena County Humane Society will take place Sunday, Oct. 29 beginning at 3 p.m. at Immanuel Lutheran Church, 403 2nd Street SE in Wadena. The recital will include students of Julia Whynott. Freewill offerings will be accepted. There will be refreshments after the recital in the fellowship hall. All funds will be given to the Wadena County Humane Society.
Senior health clinic set for November, December
A Senior Health Clinic sponsored by Wadena County Public Health will be held the third Wednesday monthly alternating between the Sebeka and Menahga Senior Centers. Clinics will be held Wednesday, Nov. 15 from 8:30-11:30 a.m. at Menahga Senior Center and Dec. 15 at the Sebeka Senior Center.
Clinics at Wadena County Public Health will be held the second Wednesday monthly from 8:30-11:30 a.m. starting Nov. 8.
Health screening including blood pressure, foot care, health information and referrals are provided. There is a $15.50 fee for foot care. Bring your MN Health Plan card if you have one.
Services are by appointment only. To make an appointment call Wadena County Public Health at (218) 631-7629.
Immunization clinics on tap in November
Wadena County Public Health Department will conduct monthly immunization clinics as follows for the month of November:
• Thursday, Nov. 2, 3 to 5 p.m. at Wadena County Public Health.
• Tuesday Nov. 21, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Wadena County Public Health, walk ins welcome.
• Monday, Nov. 13, at First English Lutheran Church, 17 Main St NW, Menahga, call for an appointment.
Please bring your immunization record if available. All minors must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian. The suggested cost is $13.25 per immunization administration. Persons eligible include Minnesota Health Care Program enrollees, and people uninsured or insured without vaccine coverage. This should not replace your regularly scheduled medical provider appointments.
For further questions or information, contact Wadena County Public Health 218-631-7629.\