Area gardeners gearing up for growing season
The fifth annual Organic Management Workshop Saturday included in-depth presentations about growing healthy produce.
Attendees learned about growing produce organically with presentations that touched on several topics, including:
• Intensive market gardening techniques with Russell Kleinschmidt
• Soil health with Kathy Connell
• Healthy plants and individuals with Dave Massey
• Irrigation/water quality with Joshua Stamper
• Insect control and habitats with Chris Phillips
• Farmer's market pricing research with Ryan Pesch
• And a producers Grower Panel sharing their experiences and answering questions
Several vendors were set up with information about local products and services to help organic growers in the area.
Throughout the years, this workshop has addressed local grower needs for organic production practice in Central Minnesota. This year, the focus was on gathering producers interested in learning and sharing their problems and successes with each other to improve their businesses.
The speakers shared their experiences and wisdom from years of growing produce.
The event was organized by the Staples Area Farmer's Market Association.