Zosel home on Bryant catches fire
A fire started in the attic of a home on Bryant Avenue Southwest in Wadena Sunday, but no one was harmed in the blaze at 215 Bryant Ave. SW, the home of Jeane and the late Bob Zosel.
"There was a lot of damage," Jeane Zosel said.
At approximately 3:50 p.m. Sunday, March 18, the house fire was reported to the Wadena Police Department.
"The back part of the home; the family room and kitchen -- will need the carpets and ceilings replaced," Zosel said. "The fire did the most damage. [We] will need a new roof. The rafters were a complete loss."
Zosel was present in the home when the fire started. She initially thought she heard an intruder in her garage only to find upon inspection that sparks were flying from the rafters, she said.
"There wasn't much smoke or water damage," Zosel said. "The firefighters did a great job of covering everything with plastic. They stayed until everything was taken care of."
Zosel said she couldn't say enough good things about the effort of local firefighters.
She and a neighbor who had noticed smoke wafting from the roof notified the authorities and the Wadena Fire Department responded immediately, according to Wadena police officer Ron Noon.
Wadena First Assistant Fire Chief Jason Wright said Sunday the initial cause of the blaze is believed to be electrical or faulty wiring. The Verndale Fire Department was also called in to assist with the fire and clean up afterward.
Zosel said Thursday that her late husband's possessions, including many historical accounts and records for the Wadena area, were not harmed in the fire.
"It could have been much worse," Zosel said. "I'm lucky it happened in the day time. No one was hurt."