Verndale family escapes fire
A child called 911 on Jan. 1 to report the family home was on fire, and people were still inside the house.
According to the Wadena County Sheriff's Office, the Verndale Fire Department arrived on the scene soon after. The home, at 114 Brown St. SW., had smoke pouring out of the upstairs.
All of the occupants of the residence were standing outside prior to the fire department's arrival, the sheriff's office said. Jeremy Umland, 30, was taken to Tri-County Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
The house was not a complete loss, the sheriff's office said. The amount of damage is unknown at this time and the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.
The Verndale Fire Department was assisted on scene by the Wadena Fire Department, Wadena County Sheriff's Office, Verndale Police Department and Tri-County Ambulance.