Weather Forecast


USDA outlines SURE eligibility requirements for 2011

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Wadena, 56482
Wadena PJ
(218) 631-1621 customer support
Wadena Minnesota 314 S. Jefferson, P.O. Box 31 56482

Hubbard-Wadena County USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) Executive Director CED Mike Stevens announced that legislative authority for the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments (SURE) program ends on Sept. 30. Producers must meet specific eligibility requirements to receive SURE assistance for disasters that occur on or before Sept. 30.


"The SURE program compensates producers for production and/or quality losses during times of disaster," said Stevens.

Producers can apply for a 2011 SURE payment if a crop of economic significance located in a primary or contiguous disaster county under a Secretarial Disaster Designation suffered at least a 10 percent loss because of disaster occurring on or before Sept. 30.

Crops are not required to be harvested on or before Sept. 30 to maintain SURE eligibility. A loss claim will only trigger after FSA determines that the loss was because of disaster occurring on or before Sept. 30. Losses that result from disasters that occur after Sept. 30 will not be eligible for SURE benefits.

Producers with 2011 crops that suffer losses caused by disasters that occur on or before Sept. 30 must also meet the following criteria:

• For insured crops, the insurance policy defines the coverage period as beginning on or before Sept. 30.

• For Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) crops, the coverage period begins on or before Sept. 30.

• The final planting date according to RMA and FSA (NAP crops only) occur on or before Sept. 30.

The sign-up period for 2011 SURE will not begin until after the national average market prices are determined for each respective crop year, which is normally one year after the applicable crop year. For questions regarding the SURE program, please contact the Hubbard County FSA office at (218) 732-9723 or the Wadena County FSA office at (218)631-2876, ext. 2.