St. Frederick Catholic Church of Verndale marking 100 years
St. Frederick Catholic Church in Verndale is celebrating 100 years on Sunday, Aug. 22. The day will begin with an outdoor Mass at 10:30 a.m., a lunch catered by Ted and Gen's of Aldrich at noon (call (218) 445-5204 to reserve a meal), and activities from noon to 3 p.m., including music, horse-drawn carriage rides, the display of church artifacts, bingo, a cake walk, mini golf, lawn games and refreshments.
Also, centennial T-shirts, sweatshirts and hoodies will be for sale.
At 3 p.m., the history of St. Frederick will be told. The church's parishioners actually trace a history to attendance at Our Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church in Aldrich back to 1870, according to a historical account written by Devon Dougherty. In those early days, visiting priests also made infrequent visits to Catholics in Verndale, usually appearing in private homes, Dougherty wrote.
St. Frederick Catholic Church was established in 1910 when the former Verndale Seventh Day Adventist Church was purchased for $600. The present church was constructed in 1918.
The Verndale parish was incorporated under the name "Church of St. Frederick" on Aug. 21, 1910, and was named after the Rev. Frederick Wiechmann, pastor of the Bluffton parish, who started talk of organizing a Verndale church as early as 1907, according to Dougherty's research.