Weather Forecast


Farm registration, open bottle clarifications

Question: I have a one ton pickup that I use on my farm. I was thinking of hooking up my fifth-wheel camper and head out to Arizona but a friend told me I would get a ticket for pulling my camper with a pickup that had farm plates on it. Is that correct?

Answer: Yes, that is correct. That would be a violation and you would receive a ticket for that. Being that it is an illegal use of farm plates/registration, you could also be subject to having the vehicle towed and put in impound until you put the proper registration on it.

Question: Winter is over (thankfully), but can a person have an open bottle of alcohol in a vehicle on a frozen lake or river?

Answer: According to Minnesota State Statute 169A.35 Subdivision. 2. Drinking and consumption; crime described. "It is a crime for a person to drink or consume an alcoholic beverage, distilled spirit, or 3.2 percent malt liquor in a motor vehicle when the vehicle is upon a street or highway." So as I read it, yes you can. As we always say, if you plan on drinking, be responsible - plan ahead for a sober ride.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow — Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205. (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at,