Otter Tail County -- Highway intersections in various parts of Otter Tail County will be lighted, making those roadways safer. The federal government will be picking up 90 percent of the $148,000 tab for the projects.
Rick West, a county highway engineer who also serves as public works director for Otter Tail County, announced the highway lighting plan to county board members on May 8. The work will begin later this summer and is expected to be completed by the end of September.
"We're please to see that the federal government will cover 90 percent of the necessary funding for these projects," said West. "The remaining 10 percent is local responsibility, namely Otter Tail County."
Highway intersections, after the new lighting is installed, will be safer for area residents near Perham, Henning, Battle Lake and other areas.
The intersection projects include, but are not limited to:
-The intersection of Highways 8 and 13, northeast of Perham, near Big Pine Lake;
-The intersection of Highways 35 and 44, south of Dent and northwest of Richville;
-The intersection of Highways 1 and 145, on the southwest side of Otter Tail Lake;
-The intersection of Highways 47 and 119, southwest of Battle Lake and southeast of Underwood;
-The intersection of Highways 40 and 65, south of Henning and southeast of Vining;
-The intersection of Highways 4 and 31, northeast of Pelican Rapids, near Crystal Lake and North Lake Lida;
-The intersection of Highways 4 and 41, southwest of Vergas and near East Spirit Lake and Loon Lake.