Weather Forecast


Carbon monoxide poisoning kills two rural Wadena residents

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
News Wadena,Minnesota 56482
Wadena PJ
(218) 631-1621 customer support
Carbon monoxide poisoning kills two rural Wadena residents
Wadena Minnesota 314 S. Jefferson 56482

A young couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning south of Wadena early Friday morning before a fire consumed the camper they were staying in.


The victims were 21-year-olds Anne Carlson and Daniel Suhl. The couple’s dog and two cats also perished.

The fire was reported just before 4 a.m. Friday. When first responders arrived on the scene, they discovered the camper fully engulfed in flames, according to the Wadena County Sheriff’s Office.  

An investigation revealed the blaze started in the front of the camper, where there were two heat sources. It has been ruled accidental, Sheriff Michael Carr said.

In Facebook posts, the victims’ family and friends expressed shock and sadness at the loss of the couple.

“Can’t believe the world has lost such a ray of sunshine,” one friend wrote on Carlson’s page.

On Suhl’s page, one family member posted: “Daniel you will always be remembered as a loving fun filled kid.”

A former Wadena-Deer Creek student, Suhl had been working as a mechanic in Williston for the past two years. In January, he moved with Carlson back to the Wadena area, where much of his immediate family resides.

Raised in Fort Ransom, N.D., Carlson graduated from Lisbon (N.D.) High School in 2010 and went on to college at the University of Minnesota-Crookston and the University of North Dakota.

Memorial services for Carlson will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Trinity Lutheran Church in Sioux City, Iowa.

Suhl’s service is at 3 p.m. Thursday in the New York Mills city hall ballroom.

Bryce Haugen
(218) 631-2561