Living History: Co-op Cenex store burglarized
25 years ago
Excerpts from the May 20, 1993 Pioneer Journal
• Firefighters battle barn blaze
No one was injured in an evening fire Tuesday, May 20, that gutted one barn in north Leaf River Township.
No livestock were injured at the Ervin and Rita Price farm in the dairy barn blaze reported shortly before 7 p.m.
One section was destroyed in the fire, but a connected lean-to and larger barn were saved, according to Wadena Fire Chief Thomas Reger.
Wadena and Sebeka fire crews worked until 12:15 a.m. Wednesday, using an estimated 60,000 gallons of water to make sure the fire was out, although firefighters were called back at about 7:30 a.m. to put out a smoldering pile of debris pulled away from the buildings.
Price said he was milking just before 7 p.m. when he smelled smoke in the west end of the barn.
The barns were insured, but it was still hard to watch them burn, Price said.
Price has about 50 head of dairy and beef stock plus young stock.
Hansen Excavating moved in a backhoe to pull down the barn in which the fire started.
Bluffton Creamery and the Sebeka Fire Department also sent tankers out to help move water, as did Northern Dewatering of Rogers, which was working on north Highway 71 and sent a 6,500 gallon tanker. Water was also pumped from the Leaf River.
The Price farm is about a mile and a half west of Hwy. 71 one mile north of CSAH 6 in Leaf River Township.
45 years ago
Excerpts from the May 17, 1973 Pioneer Journal
• Co-op Cenex store burglarized
The Northern Cooperatives CENEX store on Highway 10 west in Wadena was burglarized sometime between 6 p.m. Saturday night and when the store opened Monday morning according to word form Coop officials.
Burglars gained entrance to the building by breaking a window, it was reported.
Burglars attempted to break into the cigarette machine which contained money. The burglar or burglars hammered the cigarette vendor taking the money contained therein.
They also tried to enter a pop vendor contained in the store to no avail. Estimated damage to the cigarette machine and total amount of money taken was not immediately known.
The village police are investigating the incident.
• Isaacson rehired as council head
The Board of Directors of the Otter Tail-Wadena Community Action Council met May 10 for a special meeting.
Roy Isaacson resigned about 10 weeks ago because he felt it was good for the agency.
Reynold Ellingson was appointed as temporary director. During these past 10 weeks, Ellingson made a study and evaluation of the problems of the agency. At this meeting he presented a report to the board with recommendations.
The report cleared up any doubts the agency may have had about Isaacson. He was rehired back with a vote of confidence. Ellingson has resigned the position as director, but will continue with the agency developing new programs as well as working with present projects, according to Jerome Johnson, Chairman
75 years ago
Excerpts from the May 20, 1943 Pioneer Journal
• Shoe repair store opens for business here
Frank Thiers of Sauk Centre opened a shoe repair shop in the old Germania hall building, now used by the Minnesota Motor Co., as a display room, on Saturday and is now busy serving the public. Thiers, in looking around for a location, chose Wadena as the most likely community in which to operate.
He is married and his wife and six children will remain in Sauk Centre until the school term is ended, after which they will seek living quarters here. They have been residents of Sauk Centre 15 years and recently Thiers has been employed at the Sorenson Shoe Shop in that city.
Thiers, in an announcement on another page of this issue, invites the public in to get acquainted and to make themselves familiar with the quality of his work. He comes here well recommended.